Head Chef - Functions
Functions Head Chef
Mona is a workplace like no other. If you haven’t heard of us, we haven’t been doing our job. This applies to everything we do, whether it’s our lunatic museum or the incredible food and booze offerings across the site and beyond.
Functions are no exception—they’re a chance to show a big group of people a really good time, and a huge part of that is what they eat; which needs to be a hefty cut above whatever they’d get elsewhere.
That’s where you come in. Working directly under Executive Chef Vince Trim, you’ll lead the Functions Kitchen (wherever it may be—we do a lot of stuff off-site during our summer and winter festivals, among other things). The role is different because you will have the opportunity to design and implement your own robust systems and processes to produce high quality function food. As well as building the team environment, you will be part of a unique Hospitality group which produces really creative and memorable experiences.
- You'll be servicing around 100 functions p/year, ranging in function sizes, from 10 to 1000 people;
- You’re agile in producing food for a wide-ranging audience type; canapé, grazing, sit-down, formal, casual, weddings, corporate, festivals and artistic events—you’ll be doing it all;
- You can inspire a team to provide unique and unforgettable (for the right reasons) experiences for guests;
- Speaking of leadership: staff engagement and performance will need to be managed (well) in a dynamic environment. You need to be self-driven and credible as a line manager;
- You won’t be sitting still menu-wise—you’ll be developing new ones and working to improve anything that needs it, so bring your biggest bucket of creative flair;
- There will be important administration: the job involves agreeing operational targets, including food costs, wage costs and expenses (in collaboration with the Executive Chef)
- Lastly, you’ll need to develop rosters, maintain assets, manage stock levels (we have great technology for a lot of this), and ensure kitchen presentation reflects Mona's high standards (there is, unfortunately, no app for this).
- You need to know your shit. You’ve been in the industry a fair while (or at least long enough to have gained a mass of experience in commercial kitchens), and you’re canny enough to turn that experience into processes, systems and new ideas;
- Fitting into our often-unique work environment is a must (everyone says that, but some of our kitchens are thirteen metres underground);
- Leadership. You’re going to be leading people, and we are looking for someone who has previously managed a dynamic and diverse team;
- Cuisine knowledge. You’ve got it (ideally, quite a lot), and you’re willing and able to share it with your team and others;
- We mentioned admin up there—you’ll also need to be efficient enough at it that it doesn’t consume all your time. This is an on-the-ground role, and you’d rather be in the kitchen than poring over a spreadsheet, right?
Does this sound like you? Then we’d love to talk.
Applications close Friday 30th August 2019.