Horticulturist - Botanical Institute
Mona's 24 Carrot Garden's team has a new opportunity for a Horticulturist to take on an exciting community minded project at our Botanical Institute. This hands-on role will lead the development and upgrade of a community garden facility for the purposes of establishing an organic food garden and plant nursery that complements the existing 24 Carrot Garden program and creates opportunities for community involvement. Success in this role will require the development of strong relationships with community groups, 24 Carrot schools, and volunteers to maximise the successful outcome and coordination of education programs, workshops and other offerings.
- Working with local community groups, individuals, specialists and advisors coordinate the development of a site-wide masterplan that delivers a productive community garden and nursery with a focus on nutritional food production.
- Lead the staged development of the garden and outdoor areas, working with Mona staff, volunteers, local youth, community organisations and 24 Carrot students.
- Manage and maintain the food garden and outdoor areas and identify methods to ensure quality produce is redistributed to local community members, organisations and our 24 Carrot schools.
- Work with the 24 Carrot team to co-design, implement and deliver garden focused programming with a wide range of volunteer programs, targeting local youth, residents of Bridgewater and our 24 Carrot member schools as participants.
- Contribute to and develop the programs emerging strategic direction by ensuring program activities align with the purpose of 24 Carrot.
- Coordinate and assist in the development of 24 Carrot community events at the Botanical Institute.
- Implement sustainable practices across the site, including a ‘zero trash’ policy with a focus on waste management, composting systems and water.
- Provide support to the Mona Grounds team and contribute to their operational requirements where necessary.
- Prior experience in a gardening, educational and leadership role, with formal training and qualifications (a minimum of Horticulture Cert III or equivalent) being highly desirable.
- Market garden and or plant nursery experience.
- A sound understanding of the 24 Carrot Garden and the educational outcomes it seeks to achieve.
- Exceptional communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal) to encourage participant learning and engagement.
- Experience working in the not-for-profit or community development sector, or with at-risk youth.
- Physically fit and capable of performing the manual tasks involved with the role.
Does this sound like you? Then we’d love to get to know you. Please submit your application (specifically addressing why you're a great fit for this role) at https://mona.net.au/connect/employment.
Applications close Monday the 26th of October, 9.00am.