This job has closed. Click here for more jobs.
Artistic Director — Dark Mofo
Full-time — 4 year contract
Full-time — 4 year contract
Dark Mofo is seeking a new Artistic Director to deliver the 2024-26 festival seasons, ideally commencing employment with DarkLab early 2023. The Artistic Director is responsible for the development of a unique festival program across art, music and food experiences in line with its core, perennial themes. The Artistic Director leads the programming team and creative producers to curate artists and performers and provide the creative direction for our venues and spaces. They have ultimate accountability for creative direction and work cooperatively with the DarkLab Executive team, and more closely partner with the Executive Producer, to deliver the festival within budget, time and risk parameters.
- Develop a unique festival concept (revised annually) embodying Dark Mofo’s vision. The creative concept needs to be reflected in an inimitable patron experience across festival precincts and venue design across Hobart.
- Translate the conceptual brief into a thoughtfully curated festival program of cultural experiences across art, music and food, with a novel perspective on Dark Mofo festival themes.
- Scout emerging and established artists and performers; commission new artworks and performances; mold performances as required during the conceptual co-design period with creative producers.
- Manage the festival master project plan with support from the Executive Producer.
- Work closely with the Executive Producer to present regular festival project reports on various scope parameters, including the festival project plan and budget actuals.
- Work with the Executive Producer to ensure compliance with industry standards, workplace and other laws and maintain appropriate creative and operational risk.
- After consulting with the Executive Producer on the viability of performances, negotiate with artists to scope performances and artwork within programming and artist fee limits.
- Be responsible for the overall festival budget, including allocating budget to each of the art/ performance, pillar projects, music and food programs.
- With the Executive Producer, co-manage the festival producing budget (expenditure and revenue, excluding art and performer programming fees) within scope.
- Lead and line manage festival programmers, creative producers and site / venue designers.
- Foster a dynamic organizational culture which values creative risk taking and leadership to motivate creative teams, festival staff and external collaborators.
- Be the festival of choice for external artists and performers due to unique and respectful artist care approach.
- Relevant experience in a similar role
- People Leadership capability
- Experience working in commercial festivals or comparable environment
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
Does this sound like you? We want to meet you. Submit your CV and cover letter below.
Applications close on 14 November at 5pm.